Prep time: 30mins | Cook Time: 1hr | Serves: 6
½ kg mild white fish, like cream dory (about 1-inch thick), cut into six pieces
200 g small shrimps, cooked and shelled
1 tsp kosher salt, divided
½ tsp paprika
2 parsnips (or other root vegetable), cut into 1-inch cubes
3 carrots, peeled and thinly-sliced
2 celery stalks, thinly-sliced
1 small onion, peeled and finely-chopped
2 Tbsp olive oil
2½ cups stock (chicken, shrimp, or vegetable)
1 Tbsp unsalted butter, cut in small chunks
1 bay leaf
½ red bell pepper, thinly-sliced
½ cup whole cream or coconut milk
¼ cup chopped parsley
sliced jalapeno for garnish, optional
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F).
2. Season the fish with ½ teaspoon salt and paprika. Place in the fridge until needed.
3. In an 8x11-inch baking dish, toss the parsnip, carrot, celery, and onion with olive oil and the remaining ½ teaspoon salt. Spread out evenly.
4. Pour the chicken, or vegetable, or shrimp broth over the vegetables. Evenly sprinkle the butter on top. Add the bay leaf.
5. Cover the baking dish tightly with a lid or aluminum foil. Bake using the bottom heat function for 30 minutes.
6. Add the fish, cooked shrimps, and red pepper and bake again, covered, for another 30 minutes until the fish is tender.
7. Gently heat the whole cream or coconut milk and stir into the chowder.
8. Sprinkle with parsley just before serving. Garnish with jalapeño, if desired.