Prep time: 40mins | Cook Time: 25mins | Yields: 4 dozens
3 (350 g) sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
½ cup sweetened condensed milk
2 egg yolks
2 ¼ cups (500 g) all-purpose flour or plain flour
For the Pineapple Filling:
2 cups canned crushed pineapple
¼ tsp powdered cloves, optional
1 cup sugar
1 Tbsp lemon juice
For the Egg Wash:
2 egg yolks
¼ tsp condensed milk
½ tsp oil
1. Prepare the Pineapple Filling. Place the crushed pineapple and cloves to a nonstick pot and cook on medium heat, constantly stirring to avoid burning.
2. When the pineapple is almost dry, add the sugar and lemon juice, stir to combine well. Lower the heat and continue to stir until the pineapple turns sticky and golden in colour. Transfer to a bowl, remove the cloves, and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
3. Cream the butter and condensed milk until light and fluffy. Add in the egg yolk one at a time, beat until well-combined. Slowly mix in the flour to form the pastry dough. Mix until it no longer sticks to your hands.
4. Prepare the Egg Wash by mixing all the ingredients together in a small bowl.
5. Divide the pineapple filling and dough into 48 portions. Roll them both into balls. Use your palms to roll each dough portion and then flatten.
6. Add a pineapple ball in the middle and fold the edges of the dough up to cover the filling. Finish by rolling it into a round ball.
7. Place the pineapple cookie on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Using the back of a paring knife, cut crisscross shapes on the cookie, and brush the top with the egg wash twice. Repeat the process until all the ingredients are used up.
8. Bake in a preheated oven at 165°C (330°F) using the convectional heat function for 20 to 22 minutes or until the cookies turn golden brown. Transfer to cool on a wire rack before serving or storing in an airtight container.