Prep time: 1hr | Cook Time: 35mins | Serves: 10
2 Tbsp canola oil
1 tsp sesame oil
2 Tbsp minced ginger
3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
½ cup shiitake mushroom, thinly-sliced
¼ cup chopped red bell pepper
1 lb ground chicken
1 cup cooked jasmine rice
1 large carrot, peeled and shredded
3 scallions, chopped
2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
pinch red pepper flakes
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 large egg
1 large head Napa cabbage, leaves separated, and thick white core removed
¼ cup hoisin sauce
2 Tbsp water
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F).
2. In a medium-sized pan, heat the canola and sesame oil. Stir in the ginger, garlic, mushroom, and bell pepper. Saute for 5 minutes.
3. In a large bowl, combine the ground chicken, cooked rice, carrot, scallion, cilantro, red pepper flakes, soy sauce, and rice wine vinegar. Use your hands to mix until well-blended. Add the ingredients from the frying pan and mix well. Let cool then add 1 beaten egg to the mixture.
4. Lay flat a cabbage leaf on a baking sheet. Scoop from 3 tablespoons to a half cup of the filling, depending on the size of the leaf, onto the stem end. Roll towards the leaf end, folding in the sides if you have some spare leaf (but not required). Place the roll, seam side down, on the baking sheet. Repeat the process with the remaining leaves and filling.
5. In a small bowl, mix together the hoisin sauce and water. Brush the sauce to coat the tops and sides of all the rolls.
6. Bake in the oven using the bottom heat function for 30 minutes. Check to make sure the ground chicken is done; cook for 4 to 5 minutes more if necessary.